Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Leader of My Country


I've wanted to write for a few days on the momentous and historical occurrence in our nation. Everyone knows that I'm talking about now President Barack Obama. I feel as if Barack and I have been friends for many years. I was introduced to Barack (by the way a word in Hebrew that sounds very close to the sound of the word "Barack" means blessed.) by one of my closest co-workers at the high school where I taught. He was head of the history department at the time and since the time Barack answered his own e-mail (in the Illinois senate), Brad would tell his students that Obama was going to be the first black president. Brad was not a soothsayer but he had good instincts about something unique and special about this man and followed him closely. Out of Brad's enthusiasm, I turned into a Barack fan early on and then my friendship became inspired when Brad led me to Barack's website well before the candidacy for the presidency was a twinkle in Barack's eye.

In the fall of 2006, Barack came to Austin Texas to speak at the Texas annual book festival and I finally got to meet him. He spoke in the capital senate chambers. I camped out with Brad, some other co-workers, as my friend Eilleen, and my friend Woodie. We all got there about 3:30/4 in the morning to be among the first in line for a pass and ticket to the book signing. People were excited. The excitement permeated the air. They was no apparent division of race, religion or social position; just simply Americans with the hope that someday this person would run for President. His speech was inspiring. I remember noticing every movement, gesture and word spoken. (Even to the point that when the next time I had to speak in front of anyone, I would mimic the way he composed himself before speaking...it seemed to help.) He ended his speech with the quote from abolitionist preacher Theodore Parker who said, “The arc of the universe is long but it bends toward justice”. If this quote sounds familiar...it was made famous by MLK's usage of it in several of his speeches and writings. (Little history lesson...I'll get back on track now.) I was definitely inspired and what I noticed most keenly is how this one man brought people together, where they forgot any apathy or dissension. They just saw possibilities and felt good about their country once again. I thought, this is what people in the early sixties felt when they heard Jack Kennedy. After the speech and book signing, Barack stopped to shake hands with many in the crowd. He stopped in front of me but didn't shake my hand. He looked me in the eye for a brief moment, smiled and gently padded me on top of the shoulder. The moment was so surreal that later the memory would become a little fuzzy. I would often joke with my friend Woodie, who was standing next to me, "Did he pat me on the head or on the shoulder." At the end of that next winter, Obama did indeed announce his candidacy in Springfield and I watched it over and over again on the Net. I even became a fan of U2's song, City of Bright Lights, which was used as background to the announcement because it exemplified the moment. His candidacy in the early days was great discourse between Brad, myself, friends, and the members of the MLK and ethics course I took that spring. Was America ready for a black president...could he beat Hillary....details of the campaign....the influence of Jeremiah Wright, and on and on....Even that spring, I did something I've never done before, I campaigned door-to-door and donated money to Barack's campaign. Many did not know Barack well in those days and questioned his experience. I always believed in the capability of the man and the excitement around what he could encourage. He was all about the people and making them the focus instead of himself. At the start of both speeches I personally witnessed, his first words were, "Look at all of you." He was a humble spirit; something I greatly admire in another human being. I took a deep personal interest in this man. I would often ask Brad of what he heard or if he noticed any developments, "How's our boy, how's our friend," I would ask. Brad would joke with me that I should not call Barack a boy. But, it was derived in an affinity and a closeness rooted as an endearment and not a belittlement. Someone I believed in and thus, someone who encouraged me to be a better American. I never saw the race of the man....I just saw a man who was a blending of creeds with what I perceived as integrity and purpose.

Once he was confirmed as the democratic nominee, I slowly started losing interest. Everyone seemed to be caught up in the popularity of his spirit and message. Hooking their hopes and release from their disappointment in America on his magical star. My special connection to the man seemed to be lost. I wonder if I did not want to share my friend, or did others not want to share with me? He won the national election but still, I felt distant. I was excited and amazed but with hands stretched and no one on the other side to grab onto.

January 20, 2009 arrives. In the morning prayer at the start of my Hebrew class, the professor (who is of Korean heritage) prays for Obama and our country. He asks God to anoint Obama as God anointed Aaron. He goes into eloquent detail of God putting on a cloak etc. to mirror the biblical passage of Aaron and Moses with Barack's inauguration and future presidency. It was beautiful and bonding. The class breaks to watch the inauguration and people gather together jointly at different places on campus to watch the swearing in ceremony. I'm in the dining hall sitting cross-legged near the large T.V. and look around me to all the faces in the room, jointly watching and "awe-inspired" by this turn in America's history. I notice the adjunct professor teaching a class on the Holocaust, a woman of Jewish heritage raised in Winnipeg. I notice the professor I had for Missions who is part Indian and part American, raised in part in India. I notice the many different genders, religions, creeds and up-bringings sitting together in the room clapping and interactive with the ceremony, as if each one of us was sitting nearest to the podium on the steps of the Capitol. Once Obama starts his first speech as the 44th President of the United States, my friend Shane puts his arm around me and holds onto me for the duration of the speech. A shared moment...an emotional moment...both equally profound for many, upon hundreds of thousands of what the definition of being an American means.

I didn't feel alone anymore. Moving politics aside, could Obama instill Americans to, as he put it, "...pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin again the the work of remaking America." Yes, I think/know we can. It's about each of us, beholden to our neighbor, not expecting a hero to save us, or enact our personal agenda onto any leader; but, being encouraged to know that we, the American people, can do the right thing in humility and grace.

Among one of my favorite quotes from MLK reads, "We are tied together in the single garment of destiny, caught in the inescapable network of mutuality.” And so it is the majesty and perseverance of the America spirit in spite of our woes and ill-behavior, that we deep down acknowledge this truth....

I know this post was long but I encourage you to check out this link to Times Opinion writer, Bob Herbert. One of the best I've read so far.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/opinion/24herbert.html?emc=eta1

2 comments:

C. Beth said...

What a great post! I disagree with him drastically on some topics and on others I agree with him and appreciate his willingness to change things. I'm excited and anxious to see how things go in the coming months.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for writing this. People have actually judged me and called me a bad Christian for supporting/voting for Obama, and try their best to make me wonder if I did the right thing. But I truly know it is good when I see our president.It just helps me knowing that another Believer supports him and has absolutely no shame.