Saturday, January 3, 2009

Take on me...A-ha...Retro Memory of Inspiration

I saw this video on a site I frequent. (Thanks Michelle.) It instantly brought back a memory of a not only a great song (actually a favorite 80s song) but a time in my life where I was going through a momentous transition in my life, not unlike what I'm going through now. It was 1985 and I was on a plane at the just turned age of 22 going to a place completely foreign to me. I was moving from Seattle Washington to San Antonio Texas. I listened to this song over and over again while on the plane. It was the only thing keeping me encouraged and sane. I took the words, "Take on Me...I'll be Gone" ironically to mean that I will challenge myself and the world can take me on because I'm ready to take on the world. In a good way, mind you. :-). I was ready for everything to come my way (I was young, what can I say) with just a bit, or a lot, of fear behind me.

Right now, I have fear. In two days I start what we call at APTS, Jan Term and I'm taking Hebrew. Hard, hard work but not scary...what's scary is as it sits right now, I have two more years of school at least and reserves for maybe one year. The fear is also where is God leading me and what will it look like on the other side. At my church, we have various worship series about listening to God, making room for God, etc. What I want to see is a series about what to do when you have already made room and way is dark or blurry at best :-). But, I tell myself, I must remember the past. The past is a good indicator of how God can work in the present.

There was a time I moved to a city completely unknown to me with only $500 in my pocket. Within a few short months, I met someone who changed my life. Through that someone, God gave me not only a new name but a family. He changed my life for the better...I was given an unfathomable amount of grace beyond any measure. My life has never been the same. I'm ready to take on what lies ahead.

Enjoy the critically acclaimed video from A-ha directed by Steve Barron.


1 comment:

Twisted Christian said...

I know it's sad that this is my first comment on your lovely blog, but I can't think of the A-Ha video without also thinking of this scene from Family Guy:

http://www.spike.com/video/family-guys-take-on/2676204

(yes, it's safe for work)