Saturday, June 13, 2009

Searching for a new look and Happy Birthday William

William Butler Yeats was born on this day, June 13, 144 years ago in Dublin, Ireland. (Yeats died in France in 1939. He was 74 years old.) Yeats is one of my favorite poets. One of my most favorites of his is the poem, The Second Coming.

"TURNING and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?


To read more poems of Yeats, go to http://www.online-literature.com/yeats. Happy Birthday WB!!
I have not written/blogged anything recently....lots of learning and changes as I progress in my summer CPE program. However, two things to get me writing again (I know I need this outlet of communication): 1) I'll highlight for awhile one person; artist, poet or great thinker, every time I post when the post coincides with a particular person's birthday, such as Yeats above. And, 2) Please give me ideas/knowhow for a new look to my blog. I think some newness might give me the motivation to start writing again, and get somewhat of a following, or at least a way to express myself through writing again. Thanks for your input in advance~

1 comment:

C. Beth said...

Hi! I am still planning to revamp your blog. :) It's been extra busy with sickness, commitments, & preparing for family to visit (they're here now) so it's been back burnered. But I will get to it!

E-mail me and let me know how your internship is going.