Saturday, January 9, 2010

Which imprint do you choose?

I'm not too often excited about, or into a certain television program. However, this year I became turned onto a show called Dollhouse, created by Joss Whedon. Unfortunately, it's been canceled but it's got one of the most interesting, and controversial premises I've seen in a long time. From Wikipedia (I know not a very reliable source), "The show revolves around a corporation running numerous underground establishments (known as "Dollhouses") across the globe which program individuals referred to as Actives (or Dolls) with temporary personalities and skills. Wealthy clients hire Actives from Dollhouses at great expense for various purposes. The series primarily follows the Active known as Echo, played by Eliza Dushku, on her journey towards self-awareness."

What's interesting about this show to me is how the show lifts out the interlinking complexity of personality, the masks we wear, the ego, the shadowed self, and the soul. Can our personality change according to our environment? Can bad memories be wiped away; can the brain be reprogrammed? Do talents and skills necessarily match personality? Just some of the thoughts that the show lifts out for me. I found the following Fox publicity video to promote the show. The actors of the main characters talk about what skill sets they would want to be imprinted, or programmed with. It's kind of fun. What skills would I want to be imprinted with....I liked some of Eliza Dushku's answers. I too would want to be imprinted knowing many languages, especially French. (Just find it a beautiful language.) I would want to be athletic, a figure skater. I would want to be a great singer. (A childhood fantasy is that I wanted to be a famous Broadway singer, actress and dancer.) Since I am afraid of almost everything :-), I would be imprinted with lots of bravery...climbing skills, fighting skills, you name it. But most of all, I would like to be imprinted with a combination of political acuity and a sanguine personality, so I can truly be a peacemaker in the world. I would would like to have a spirit like a Dr. Paul Farmer, or start an organization like Doctors Without Borders.

How about you. What skills would you like to be imprinted with?

1 comment:

C. Beth said...

We love Dollhouse!

But tonight all I want to be imprinted with is a snack, then sleep. :)