Thursday, January 28, 2010

Heaven Help Me

This video was passed along this morning by a classmate. I've watched it a number of times and moved to tears by it. I don't have overt addictions, but like every other person, struggle with inner pain. I come across, and probably am genuinely, kind, thoughtful, emphatic and honest to a fault, but inside I see myself as probably not the nicest of people. Like so many, I battle depression and low self esteem. I stuff down feelings to hide behind a heroically stoic face. This song's reminder and my work learning at Austin Recovery this January term has deeply moved me, and changed me. We're powerless without God; albeit, as Niebuhr writes in the Serenity Prayer, "God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed." And, "courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other."


No comments: